- a lifelong Washingtonian and resident of the Pacific Northwest;
- the founder of the Northwest Progressive Institute;
- a member of the Washington State Democratic Central Committee (WSDCC);
- a co-organizer of WordCamp Seattle 2015 (Experienced and Beginner editions);
- passionate about progressive politics and free software, especially WordPress. When I’m not working, I enjoy traveling, photography, cooking, gardening, and watching cross country races.
In years past, I was…
- a delegate to the 2012 Democratic National Convention for Barack Obama;
- one of the co-organizers for WordCamp Seattle 2012;
- a summer organizing fellow for the Progressive Change Campaign Committee.
And, as the heading above says, I am a freelance WordPress consultant, specializing in security and administration for self-hosted WordPress installations.
As a blogger and developer myself, I appreciate how difficult building a first-class website can be. Most entrepreneurs and activists who publish online want to be able to focus on creating content that will draw in visitors. Great software like WordPress makes doing this much easier, but WordPress isn’t invulnerable.
If you run WordPress yourself, then you need to be concerned about how well protected your installation is. Your web host may be responsible for the security of their systems, but you are responsible for the software you run on them. That includes WordPress. If your content is important to you, you owe it to yourself to make the security of your site a priority.
I’m here to help. I know from experience that hardening a WordPress installation is not a simple task – there’s a lot to consider and a lot to think about.
- Assessing strengths and weaknesses. I can perform a security audit of your WordPress site to determine how well protected it is against hackers, and prepare a report card outlining what best practices you are already following and where you need to improve.
- Constructing site defenses. I can lock up your WordPress installation for you and help you understand how to adopt all of the best practices that I recommend.
- Security education. If you run a site which multiple people contribute to, I can assist you in educating them about best practices, whether that’s holding a webinar, group chat, teleconference, or possibly even visiting your offices in person. Remember, the security of your site is only as strong as the weakest link in your defenses.
- Recovering and restoring a compromised site. My interest in security actually began when I was called upon to un-hack WordPress installations on several occasions. I can help you get back on your feet and reverse damage to your filesystem and database caused by hackers.
As you can see, most of my services are preventative in nature. There’s a reason for that! As the old adage goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Many folks who have had their WordPress installations broken into have learned this lesson the hard way. I’d like to help ensure that you never have to.
I can’t guarantee that you’ll be completely protected if you engage my services. But I can help you dramatically improve your ability to defend your WordPress site and the content you manage with it.
Want to hire me? Send me a message!